Prescribe boundary temperature conditions in melt model

Hi all,

I am currently studying the melt model in ASPECT (e.g., global_melt, Dannberg & Heister, 2016), and the content of this part is still new to me.

I’d like to :

1. Change the geometry to a spherical shell.

2. Prescribe the boundary temperature model as ‘dynamic core’

I want to know how to prescribe the temperature-related boundary conditions so that the upper (or surface) and lower (or bottom) temperatures of this geometry model correspond to the outer/inner temperature in the dynamic core. I think the key to this problem lies in how to set initial temperature boundary condition ?

Assuming I have,

set Adiabatic surface temperature = 1600

subsection Geometry model
  set Model name = spherical shell
  subsection Spherical shell
    set Inner radius = 1900e3
    set Outer radius = 3000e3
    set Opening angle = 90
  end
end

subsection Boundary temperature model
  set Model name = dynamic core
  subsection Dynamic core
    set Inner temperature = 2100
    set Outer temperature = 300 # 300K is the actual surface temperature.
  end
end

If the subsection Initial temperature model similar to the one used in global_melt is still used here, then how should I set this part ? or is there a better way ?

Best,

Xie

Xie,
I have to admit that I don’t quite understand your question :frowning: The initial temperature is conceptually separate from the boundary temperature. You can choose them independently, and ASPECT makes no assumption about their relationship.

I assume you have read about the parameter that need to be set for the dynamic core plugin, and what they mean?

Best
Wolfgang

Sorry for the first post that confused you. Let me rephrase it, if I want to apply the dynamic core into a geometry of box. Then what I should do to make it happen? The purpose of doing so is to perform a more realistic simulation. I realize that I may have to modify the source code of dynamic core, especially the snippet (starting from line 657) about ’ calculate core mantle boundary heat flow’ in update function if I understand it correct.

Best,
Xie