I am happy to advertise a fully funded, 2-year, post-doctoral researcher position in the Geodynamic Modelling Section of GFZ Potsdam, Germany. The project topic is “Data Analysis of Strain Evolution in Rifts”. All job details and the application form can be found at this link: Postdoctoral researcher (f_m_x) – Data Analysis of Strain Evolution in Rifts: GFZ
This project follows an innovative, multidisciplinary approach by using data analysis techniques in order to interpret big data sets from numerical geodynamic models and geophysical surveys. The post-doctoral researcher’s role will be to develop and employ techniques involving computer vision, network and graph analysis to quantify fault dynamics in time-dependent 3D numerical forward models as well as 2D and 3D geophysical data sets.
• Developing and using data analysis workflows to extract discrete faults from time-dependent geodynamic models and geophysical data sets
• Conducting and interpreting thermo-mechanical models using the geodynamic research software ASPECT
• Comparison and interpretation of fault characteristics from models and geophysical data
• Interacting and collaborating with other members of the Geodynamic Modelling Section and the Geophysics Department
• Presentation of results at scientific meetings and in publications in peer-reviewed journals
• Master`s degree (or equivalent) and a PhD in Earth Sciences, Physics, or Engineering
• Experience and knowledge of the development and use of data analysis techniques in geosciences
• Knowledge of and experience with geodynamic modelling, preferentially the ASPECT research code
• Experience in Python programming and model visualization
• Proven ability to work in a collaborative and multi-disciplinary environment
• Creativity and critical thinking skills and the ability to publish, as demonstrated by a record of original and innovative publications
• Capacity for international teamwork, and excellent communication skills
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics.
Please contact me if you have any questions. Feel free to forward this message to anyone you think may be interested.
All the best,
Head of Geodynamic Modelling Section
Building A 46, Room 202
14473 Potsdam, Germany
+49 (0) 331 288 1928