PhD and Post-doc Opportunities in Computational Geodynamics at the University of Florida

I am looking for one postdoc and one PhD student to join my computational geodynamics lab at University of Florida. Research topics include, but are not limited to geodynamic modeling of mantle convection and mantle plumes, melting, magma dynamics, phase transitions, lithospheric deformation, the role of mineral grain size in mantle dynamics, and numerical methods (see also https://jdannberg.github.io/research.html). If candidates have their own research ideas connected to these topics, I am happy to consider them!

Throughout their projects, both candidates will work with the community software ASPECT, and will be introduced to its friendly and collaborative community. They will get the opportunity to acquire skills in numerical modeling of multi-physics problems, software development, high-performance computing, scientific writing/presentation and other skills that prepare them to be successful in a career in academia or beyond.

The University of Florida is the #7 top public university in the US, and the Department of Geological Sciences includes faculty with a wide range of expertise in solid Earth and planetary processes, surface processes, paleoclimate, marine geology, and paleontology. Additionally, my group has multiple national and international scientific collaborators. The successful candidates are encouraged to participate in this collaborative network and broaden their research interests.

PhD student position
The successful candidate should possess a BSc/MSc degree in Geophysics/Earth Science/Physics or a related field, and have an interest in computational models of geodynamic processes, a strong mathematical background and fluent oral and written communication skills in English. Desired (but not required) qualifications include experience with geodynamic modeling, proficiency in at least one programming language and prior research experience.

The PhD candidate will receive 12 months of research support per year – including a starting stipend of $26,500 per year, a tuition waiver and travel support – for the first two years, subject to approval for enrollment in the graduate program at UF. The start date of the position is August 2020.

Interested candidates should apply to graduate school at University of Florida prior to the 15 January 2020 deadline. For more information, see https://geology.ufl.edu/programs/graduate-program/prospective-graduate-students/. In addition, please contact me (Juliane Dannberg, juliane.dannberg@ufl.edu) directly with an up-to-date CV.

Postdoctoral Associate position
Applicants must have received a PhD degree in Geophysics/Earth Science/Physics or a related subject by the start date of the position, and should have experience with computational models of geodynamic processes, proficiency in at least one programming language, a successful publication record of past research, and fluent oral and written communication skills in English. Desired (but not required) qualifications include previous experience with computational thermodynamics, high-performance computing, C++ and/or the modeling code ASPECT.

At University of Florida, postdocs may serve as Principal Investigator on grants (under certain conditions), and I will encourage and support candidates who want to obtain additional research funding.

The position is for 2 years, with a flexible start date (before Fall 2020) and a starting salary of $50,000. More resources for postdocs can be found at http://postdoc.aa.ufl.edu/resources/. Candidates can apply by sending me (Juliane Dannberg, juliane.dannberg@ufl.edu) a cover letter that also outlines their research interests, a CV, and the names of 3 references who can provide a letter of recommendation. I will start to review applications on January 15, 2020 until the position is filled.

The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The successful candidate must be able to work with students, faculty and staff from a wide range of social and cultural backgrounds. We are especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. The university and greater Gainesville communities enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities. 
All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening that includes a review of criminal records, reference checks, and verification of education. Degrees earned from an educational institution outside of the United States require evaluation by a professional credentialing service provider approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law. If an accommodation because of disability is needed to apply for this position, please call (352) 392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at (800) 955-8771 (TDD).