How to handle fault intersection in 3D when the faults cannot be split in 2 parts?

Hi Brad,

I would like to understand how to handle fault intersections when the faults do not cross each other throughout their entire length.

In this previous post: http://lists.geodynamics.org/pipermail/cig-short/2018-February/003119.html it was mentioned that the way to handle fault intersections is to split one of the fault in 2 parts.

For the two faults that I show below here (Fault_A and Fault_B), the faults do not cross each other such that it allows it to be split in two parts. In this case, how would you handle the fault intersection ? How would you set the fault buried edges ?

Note that my end goal is to only access the tractions on the faults and I am not looking to perform dynamic simulations (with fault slip etc.).

Could you please let me know what you think about it ?

Thank you very munch in advance,
Josimar

It looks like the fault intersection could be described as an X. We currently do not have a solution for allowing an X intersection in which either fault can slip at the intersection. There is no way to construct cohesive cells for such a case. The only remedy is to make one fault through-going and not allow the other fault to slip at the intersection.

For your geometry, if you make one fault through-going (say Fault A), I am not sure the algorithm to construct the cohesive cells will work for Fault B that wraps around Fault A. Certainly breaking Fault B into two faults should work.

1 Like

Thanks you @baagaard, it is clear now !