How to add a plume in numerical model

How to add a plume in continental_extension.prm.Hope someone can give me some suggestions.

Good evening,

The following recent paper using ASPECT to model plume-lithosphere interaction may be a good place to start: Redirecting

Cheers,
John

Thanks for your response
This article is useful for learning plume-lithosphere interaction,
Can I find the prm file for this article.
I don’t know what command to use to set the plume in the model

Best
Xu

Dear Xu,

Indeed, they did not include a PRM file, but I think you should be able to obtain one by contacting the corresponding authors.

Alternatively, you could try to recreate the prm file from the description in the paper.

Best wishes,
John

Hi John

Thanks for your response
I will try to recreate the prm file

Best
Xu

Hi John

I tried to recreate the experiment
But I have a question about how to add the temperature difference between mantle and plume
Could you help me with this problem

Best
Xu
continental_extension.prm (13.7 KB)

Hi Xu,

But I have a question about how to add the temperature difference between mantle and plume
Could you help me with this problem

Sure, can you specify exactly where the difficulty is?

You will likely need to modify the initial temperature structure of the attached prm file to include an adiabatic profile below the lithosphere, which is then further modified to generate the plume.

As an alternative to using functions directly in the prm file, you can create the initial temperature field in python or matlab and write the data to an ascii file read by ASPECT.

A third alternative is to use the Geodynamic World Builder to define the initial conditions.

Cheers,
John