Error compiling deal.II

Hi there,
Recently I am trying to install ASPECT locally. However,I encountered some problems when I use candi to compile the dependencies:

I have consulted some information about fatal error,the error found may be due to insufficient memory in the virtual machine.So I expanded the memory and compiled again, but the same problem appeared.
Has anyone encountered a similar problem and how should I solve it?
HangWu

It is conceivable that even doubling the memory is not enough. How much memory do you give the VM?

Best
W.

I also just updated the machine at deal.II and ASPECT virtualbox machine image
Depending on what you want to do, you can make use of it instead of compiling deal.II by yourself.

Now I have 8G of memory allocated to the virtual machine

Thanks for your suggestion.
I was using a virtual machine image before, but when I ran the model I found that my own computer couldn’t calculate the higher resolution model, so I thought I’d try it out on the server. But that requires me to install ASPECT on the server itself, so I want to try to compile it myself first, and then go to the server and compile it.
best,
HangWu

Hang-Wu:
the virtual machine already has Trilinos installed – why do you want to re-compile Trilinos on it?

Separately, Trilinos requires a lot of memory. I would imagine that 8GB is enough if you do make -j1 (i.e., just make), but I would not be surprised if you run out of memory if you do make -j4 or even just make -j2 when compiling Trilinos.

Best
W.

Dear Wolfgang
How do I check to see if Trilinos is installed, because when I run candi.sh, it doesn’t run completely.And I didn’t use the -jN command when I ran candi.sh
best,
HangWu

HangWu:
Oh, I think I misunderstood. Trilinos is installed on the virtual machine, but possibly not on your own computer. There are, however, downloadable packages for most linux distributions. For example, here is the debian package:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=trilinos
There are also Ubuntu packages, for example.

Best
W.

Hi HangWu,
I’m having the same issue when running candi.sh:

make[2]: *** [packages/kokkos/core/src/CMakeFiles/kokkoscore.dir/build.make:188: packages/kokkos/core/src/CMakeFiles/kokkoscore.dir/impl/Kokkos_MemoryPool.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:4269: packages/kokkos/core/src/CMakeFiles/kokkoscore.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:166: all] Error 2
Failure with exit status: 2
Exit message: There was a problem building trilinos 13-2-0.

I’ve allocated as much as 12GB of memory for the installation and still having no luck. Were you able to find a solution to this? Thanks!
Best,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

For reference, can you let us know a bit about your machine (regular desktop or virtual machine), OS, how many processors are being used to compile, and any other related information?

Thanks!

John

Hi John,
Yes, I’m using Columbia’s HPC, Ginsburg. It’s a linux-based cluster. I have not specially parallelized the compilation (e.g., -j4, etc.) because I’m trying to use the ASPECT manual’s instructions for downloading dependencies through candi. I have tried increasing the allocated memory by a lot, but this still did not fix the error. Thanks for your help.
Best,
Andrew