Can Pylith be configured using an existing Petsc Libarary on the cluster?

Hi all,

I would like to know if Pylith could be configure without Petsc, but using the available Petsc library on the cluster ? I tried to configure Pylith without Petsc, I got the following error,
I am wondering if this is the case that Pylith has to be configured with a specific version of Petsc, instead of requiring a minimum version of Petsc ?

checking for /usr/bin/python extension module directory… (cached) ${exec_prefix}/lib64/python2.7/site-packages
checking for ncdump… /opt/packages/netcdf/3.6.2-gcc/bin/ncdump
checking for PETSc dir… /opt/packages/petsc/petsc-3.6.1
checking for PETSc arch… linux-gnu
checking for PETSc config… /opt/packages/petsc/petsc-3.6.1/linux-gnu/lib/petsc/conf/petscvariables
checking for PETSc version == 3.5.3… no (3.6.1)
configure: error: no suitable PETSc package found

Thank you ,
Xiao

Theoretically yes, but in practice no. You should use the PETSc provided with PyLith.

The development of PETSc and PyLith is pretty much simultaneous and they are in sync only at certain times. This is why we check for an exact match of the PETSc version in the PyLith configure. So if the version of PyLith you have wants PETSc 3.5.3, then that is known to work and it is unlikely to work with 3.6.1. Additionally, there are times when we need features that are not quite in the PETSc release, so we always provide the PETSc tarball that is compatible with the corresponding PyLith version.