About using ascii data in ‘chunk with lithosphere boundary indicators’ geometry model

Dear users
When I tried to use ASCII data to set the top of the model as a prescribed velocity boundary in the ‘chunk with lithosphere boundary indicators’ geometry model, the following alert appeared:

Exception ‘ExcNessage ("This ascii data plugin can only be used when using " “a spherical shell, chunk,box or two nerged boxes geonetry.”)’

I would like to inquire if there is a similar method available to input data from an external file to set the velocity at the top of the ‘chunk with lithosphere boundary indicators’ geometry model.

Thank you in advance for the help
MuXuan

Hi MuXuan,

Welcome and thank you for posting to the forum!

I did a quick look into that error message, but could not find it in the source code for the current main branch.

Can you let us know what version of ASPECT you are using, and also post a PRM file that produces the error?

Cheers,
John

Dear John,

I’m glad you replied.

The version I’m currently using is ASPECT 2.5.0-pre. In the attachment, you will find the PRM file, the input velocity file for the top boundary, and a screenshot of the program warning. Please allow me to simplify the other parameter settings appropriately, keeping only the problematic part, as the original parameter file is quite complex.

Thank you once again, and I wish you a wonderful day!

MuXuan

TK_top1.0x.prm (3.6 KB)
chunk_2d_top.00.txt (2.7 KB)

Hi MuXuan,

Sure thing and thank you for sending the PRM files over. Yes, ideal If you can send over a smaller simplified one that runs on 1 or 2 processors for testing.

However, as a first step please update to using the most recent commit of the main branch, as the feature you need may currently be enabled there.

Cheers,
John