Zero_depth parameter in adiabatic initial temperature profile

Hi,
I am trying to understand what adiabatic.cc is really doing. Half way through the file, the parameter {\tt const double zero_depth = 0.174} is hard coded in the context of subadiabaticity. It looks like it is a dimensionless parameter, but if I multiply it with 2891km I get ~503km , and if I multiply it by 6371km I get ~1108km. Does anybody remember where this 0.174 value come from?
Ce/

Hi Cedric,

this is one of the very first files I added to ASPECT (when I visited Wolfgang for the first time after I had just started my PhD in 2012). I don’t quite remember where the exact number comes from, but the goal was to be able to create a profile like I used in this model (Supplementary Figure 2) in Citcom. Originally, I took the idea for the subadiabaticity from this paper and tried to use a function that would create a temperature profile with a similar shape like the ones shown in Figure 1 of that paper.

So it’s very specific and the code could definitely be improved. Feel free to make this more general if you want to use it for something different.

Juliane

thanks! I will look into this.