Morency_Doin_2004

Hi everybody;

I have a problem in running morency_doin.prm. Many thanks in advance for your help.

best regards

– This is ASPECT, the Advanced Solver for Problems in Earth’s ConvecTion.
– . version 2.1.0-pre (master, bfba623e7)
– . using deal.II 9.0.0
– . using Trilinos 12.10.1
– . using p4est 2.0.0
– . running in DEBUG mode
– . running with 1 MPI process
– How to cite ASPECT: https://aspect.geodynamics.org/cite.html

Loading shared library <./libmorency_doin.so>
ERROR: Uncaught exception in MPI_InitFinalize on proc 0. Skipping MPI_Finalize() to avoid a deadlock.

Exception ‘ExcMessage (std::string(“Could not successfully load shared library <”) + shared_libs_list[i] + ">. The operating system reports " + “that the error is this: <” + dlerror() + “>.”)’ on rank 0 on processing:

An error occurred in line <292> of file </home/user/aspect/source/main.cc> in function
void possibly_load_shared_libs(const string&)
The violated condition was:
handle != NULL
Additional information:
Could not successfully load shared library <./libmorency_doin.so>. The operating system reports that the error is this: <./libmorency_doin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory>.

Aborting!

I suppose that you really don’t have this file in the current directory. Where
are you running the executable? In the directory for the Morency-Doin
cookbook? If so, have run called ‘cmake’ and ‘make’ in that directory to build
this shared library?

Best
W.

Dear Wolfgang,

Thanks for your message. I’ve done it.

Best wishes
Nazila

And? Does it work now?
Best
W.

Yes, it works very well.
Bset regards,
Nazila

Dear Wolfgang,

Thanks for your help. I have started to learn aspect code. I would like to
define the D" layer at the mantle’s bottom with aspect.

Best regards,
Nazila

Nazila – you’ll have to be more specific about what exactly you want to
define. A dense layer? A chemically distinct layer? A temperature boundary layer?

Best
W.

Hi Nazila,

Following up on our previous conversation, but I’m moving it to the forum in case it helps other people with the same trouble. To fill others in, Nazila is wondering about defining a thermal D’’ layer.

I think Wolfgang’s last response was getting at this, but we need you to be pretty specific when asking for help, otherwise it’s hard to know how to help.

The short answer to your question is that the quickest/easiest way to change the initial temperature is using the “Function” plugin, which lets you define whatever initial temperature field you’d like directly from the parameter file.

The longer answer is that it’s probably best to take a few steps back and understand Aspect’s plugin structure. The manual discusses this in more depth, but in short Aspect’s core only solves the governing equations while everything else is done by plugins. Many plugins come baked into Aspect, while some custom ones need to be compiled separately and loaded at run time (as you’ve already done with the Morency & Doin material model). The plugins have distinct purposes, but generally they define most of the variables and model conditions (initial temperature distribution, initial composition distributions, boundary conditions for velocity and pressure, and so on).

The Morency & Doin plugin is a material model plugin, which basically just translates between state variables (temperature,pressure,strain-rate,etc) and the various process functions (coefficients like density,viscosity,compressibility,etc). What you’re looking for right now is an ‘initial temperature’ plugin. The “Function” plugin, mentioned above, is one of the most general ones that’s baked into Aspect by default. Check out examples in the manual for more info on how to use it. If you need something more complex you can always write your own plugin. The hardest part of starting to write your own plugin is usually setting up your computer to compile and load plugins, but you’ve already done that with the Morency & Doin model. The rest you can mostly copy-paste from another plugin or from the manual and tweak as needed.

Let me know if you run into problems with this, but try to be as specific as possible with any problems you encounter; it makes helping you much easier.

-JPH

P.S. The Morency & Doin model is only really meant to represent shallow, lithosphere-scale structures. And even then, I’m not convinced that it’s actually very good. If you’re modeling whole-mantle processes, or anything involving D’’, I’d suggest trying another one of the material models. Probably one of the built-in plugins will be best suited to your case.