Melt with the Ascii reference profile materila model in Burnman cookbook

Hello Aspect community

How do I add melt with the Ascii reference profile? I am currently using the Burnman cookbook for my mantle convection model set-up, and I would like to include melt in the model. I am interested in melt fraction/volume and depth. Thank you.

Hi Viv,

Welcome to the ASPECT forum!

The BurnMan cookbook was designed as a relatively simple 1D method for studying the effect of phase transitions on convection at constant composition. It is not suitable for studying the effect of melting in the Earth, because melting causes fractionation of elements (the melt and residue have different compositions).

Melting is implemented in a couple of ways in ASPECT, with relatively simple melting models. One was implemented by Dannberg and Heister several years ago, and focuses on shallow melting. Dannberg et al. have more recently implemented another melting model for the deepest mantle, with more components and an explicit modelling of mineral fractions.

You might be interested in looking at Melt migration in a 2D mantle convection model — ASPECT 2.5.0-pre.

If we can help with a more specific problem, please reply to this message with more details of what you’re trying to do, what you have tried, and where you are stuck.

Best wishes,
Bob

Hi Bobmyhill

Thank you for the warm welcome and the response.

I used Burnman to extract material properties for ascii material properties required for the 2-dimensional mantle convection as in Burnman cookbook. I am working on studying mantle evolution for rocky exoplanets. I set up the mantle convection in 2-D annulus shell with 1-D material properties. And as of now, I want to develop an outgassing model, and I need melt outputs from the convection model to get melt fractions and volatiles. My materials models entail various Fe fractions.

Hi Viv,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for including the information about your motivation. I recommend that you read the documentation I linked to in my previous email, and figure out the things you need to change to solve your problem. You can then try to implement those changes, or describe to us where you need help.

Generally, we’re happy to help out with prm changes, explaining code functionality, or helping you make specific changes to the code. Turning a scientific idea into a conceptual model set up and doing the required coding is normally outside of our remit unless it’s a problem we’re already working on.

Best wishes,
Bob