Linking D-REX with ASPECT and implementation of anisotropy in the lower mantle

Hello!

I wanted to implement LPO in post-Perovskite in the lower mantle. D-REX can measure the anisotropy in the upper mantle. Is there any way to measure anisotropy in the lower mantle?

Also, how can I link the result from D-REX to ASPECT ?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Poulami

Hey Poulami,

For the D-Rex algorithm it doesn’t matter what minerals are being used, even though only olivine and enstatite are implemented in the original code. As long as you have some idea of what the relative strength of the different slip systems (RRSS in the paper) are for each fabric and have some resonable values for several dimensionless parameters (like the dimensionless mobility and nucleation parameter), you should be able to use D-Rex to compute the LPO of that mineral or a mixture of minerals. I haven’t checked whether all assumption of D-Rex hold in the lower mantle, so that would be something to check in the original papers.

I have been working on implementing the algorithm from D-Rex in ASPECT. The code can be found here. This allows you to track the evolution of LPO/CPO on the particles in ASPECT, compute the elastic matrix and decompose it into it different symmetries. If you have questions about how to use that code, please let me know. There is also a github issue which tracks to progress of merging that code into the main version of ASPECT.

I am not sure what you mean with linking the results from D-REX to ASPECT, but if it is just for visualization purposes, it is not needed with the above code since it is integrated.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions about this let me know :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Menno