Issue with HDF5 Support in Aspect: Seeking Assistance

Dear Aspect Community,

I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to seek assistance regarding an issue I encountered while attempting to output HDF5 format files using Aspect.

Here’s a brief overview of the problem: Despite modifying the output command to “set Output format = hdf5” in my .prm, I encountered a persistent error message stating “HDF5 support is disabled” in the terminal.

To address this issue, I took the following steps:

1. Recompiled Aspect and linked it to the relevant libraries using the command:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/the/opt/aspect-2.3.0-release -DDEAL_II_WITH_MPI=ON -DDEAL_II_WITH_HDF5=/home/the/opt/hdf5-1.14.1 -DDEAL_II_DIR=/home/the/opt/dealii-9.2.0 -DP4EST_DIR=/home/the/opt/p4est-2.3.5 ..

make -j 8
make install

1. After recompilation and updating the environment variables, including the updated paths, HDF5 support still could not be achieved.

I also conducted the following checks:

Verified the path “/home/the/opt/hdf5-1.14.1” in the CMakeCache.txt file under “DEAL_II_WITH_HDF5:UNINITIALIZED,” ensuring no issues with the path.
Observed no HDF5-related information in the Aspect output after a successful installation.
*I also checked under CMakelist.txt file and there is no question about HDF5. So I would like to ask: how does the source code compilation and installation of aspect link to HDF5?

Despite these efforts, the issue persists, and I am unable to enable HDF5 support in Aspect. I would greatly appreciate any insights, suggestions, or guidance from the community to resolve this matter.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
Ting He

Dear Ting He,

For ASPECT to be able to output hdf5, deal.II should be compiled with HDF5 enabled. The CMakeCache.txt for deal.II should read DEAL_II_WITH_HDF5:BOOL=ON. If you are using candi to install deal.II (GitHub - dealii/candi: candi - (Compile & Install) - Downloads, configures, builds and installs deal.II), the following should be sufficient:
./candi.sh -j 8 --packages="hdf5 p4est trilinos sundials dealii"

Best wishes,
Bob