13 March 2020
Dear CIG Community,
In the past several weeks, travel policies for many institutions have been under constant revision in response to COVID-19. UC Davis currently has restricted travel to CDC level 2 & 3 countries and we are cautioned to reconsider nonessential international and domestic travel. In addition, we have been directed to cancel or postpone events through March 31 of >150 participants. While this does not affect any current CIG events, the uncertainty of the duration of restrictions not only by UC Davis but other institutions and countries, and suspended entries for foreign nationals from Schengen countries impacts the effectiveness of our programs.
We have been in active discussions with our workshop leaders and community members on how to proceed in the face of uncertainty. The current status of events are as followed:
- May 3-6. CGU. Organizers have extended the early bird deadline and refund dates: https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/calendar/2018-cgu-cig-2/update-march-11/. If you are expecting or have applied for support from CIG, please contact us before making any nonrefundable travel plans. We cannot provide reimbursement for travel expenses for trips not completed.
- **June 7-14. PyLith Hackathon. **Format and dates subject to change.
- **July. Tectonics Modeling Tutorial and Workshop. **This event will be entirely virtual and has been split into 2 separate events:
- Tectonics Modeling Tutorial: week of July 20
- Tectonics Community Scene Workshop: week of July 27
Details on exact dates and format will be shared when available.
- August 4-15. ASPECT Hackathon. Notification of acceptance will be delayed until April 30.
- TBD. Rayleigh Hackathon.
Fall 2020 events - the SPECFEM Developers Meeting Oct 6-8 and the CIG Community Workshop October 23-24, are currently going forward as planned.
As the situation is fluid, we strongly advise you to subscribe to the forum and relevant forum categories for the latest updates on all events.
Thank you for your understanding through this difficult situation.