Trouble making rebased version of ASPECT on cluster

Hi,
I just rebased from master (for the first time since the hackathon) and am now having trouble building on the cluster. Strangely the new version makes fine on my laptop, but gives the error message below when I ‘make release’ on the cluster.
I’m using deal.II version 8.5.0, do I perhaps need to update to a newer version?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sophie

[ 25%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/aspect.dir/source/simulator/core.cc.o
/n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/source/simulator/core.cc(150): error: no instance of function template “dealii::std_cxx14::make_unique” matches the argument list
argument types are: (dealii::ParameterHandler)
std_cxx14::make_unique<MeltHandler>(prm) :
^
/n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/include/aspect/compat.h(162): note: this candidate was rejected because mismatch in count of arguments
make_unique()
^
detected during instantiation of “aspect::Simulator::Simulator(MPI_Comm, dealii::ParameterHandler &) [with dim=2]” at line 1868

/n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/source/simulator/core.cc(117): error: no instance of function template “dealii::std_cxx14::make_unique” matches the argument list
argument types are: (int, bool)
return std_cxx14::make_unique<MappingQ>(4, true);
^
/n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/include/aspect/compat.h(162): note: this candidate was rejected because mismatch in count of arguments
make_unique()
^
detected during:
instantiation of “std::unique_ptr<dealii::Mapping<dim, dim>, std::default_delete<dealii::Mapping<dim, dim>>> aspect::::construct_mapping(const aspect::GeometryModel::Interface &, const aspect::InitialTopographyModel::Interface &) [with dim=2]” at line 203
instantiation of “aspect::Simulator::Simulator(MPI_Comm, dealii::ParameterHandler &) [with dim=2]” at line 1868

/n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/source/simulator/core.cc(344): error: no instance of function template “dealii::std_cxx14::make_unique” matches the argument list
argument types are: (aspect::Simulator<2>, dealii::ParameterHandler)
free_surface = std_cxx14::make_unique<FreeSurfaceHandler>(*this, prm );
^
make_unique()
^
detected during instantiation of “aspect::Simulator::Simulator(MPI_Comm, dealii::ParameterHandler &) [with dim=2]” at line 1868

/n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/source/simulator/core.cc(150): error: no instance of function template “dealii::std_cxx14::make_unique” matches the argument list
argument types are: (dealii::ParameterHandler)
std_cxx14::make_unique<MeltHandler>(prm) :
^
make_unique()
^
detected during instantiation of “aspect::Simulator::Simulator(MPI_Comm, dealii::ParameterHandler &) [with dim=3]” at line 1868

/n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/source/simulator/core.cc(117): error: no instance of function template “dealii::std_cxx14::make_unique” matches the argument list
argument types are: (int, bool)
return std_cxx14::make_unique<MappingQ>(4, true);
^
make_unique()
^
detected during:
instantiation of “std::unique_ptr<dealii::Mapping<dim, dim>, std::default_delete<dealii::Mapping<dim, dim>>> aspect::::construct_mapping(const aspect::GeometryModel::Interface &, const aspect::InitialTopographyModel::Interface &) [with dim=3]” at line 203
instantiation of “aspect::Simulator::Simulator(MPI_Comm, dealii::ParameterHandler &) [with dim=3]” at line 1868

/n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/source/simulator/core.cc(344): error: no instance of function template “dealii::std_cxx14::make_unique” matches the argument list
argument types are: (aspect::Simulator<3>, dealii::ParameterHandler)
free_surface = std_cxx14::make_unique<FreeSurfaceHandler>(*this, prm );
^
make_unique()
^
detected during instantiation of “aspect::Simulator::Simulator(MPI_Comm, dealii::ParameterHandler &) [with dim=3]” at line 1868

compilation aborted for /n/home08/slcoulson/aspect_projects/aspect/source/simulator/core.cc (code 2)
gmake[6]: *** [CMakeFiles/aspect.dir/source/simulator/core.cc.o] Error 2
gmake[5]: *** [CMakeFiles/aspect.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/release] Error 2
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/release.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/release.dir/rule] Error 2
make: *** [release] Error 2

I was afraid this was going to happen :frowning:

I know how to fix it and will do so tomorrow.

Best
W.

Sophie,
could you try this patch here:

I am pretty sure that this should work, but have no way of testing it myself :frowning:

Best
W.

Thanks Wolfgang. Please can you remind me how to pull the patch? It’s been a while…

Thank you!