March Announcements: Hackathon deadline, Webinar, Job Opportunities

ASPECT Hackathon: Deadline March 31

The deadline to apply for this year’s ASPECT hackathon is ONE WEEK away, Thursday March 31.

This year’s hackathon will take place from May 15-24, 2022 in Cody, Wyoming. The hackathon will focus more on the development of foundational features and the core of ASPECT, and less on supporting individual models and simulations as we have in the past. Consequently, applicants should have intermediate to advanced experience in the development of ASPECT. [more info]

WEBINAR: April 14 - Kali Allison, Interaction Between Earthquakes and Interseismic Deformation

Earthquake cycle models can be used to understand the processes that govern fault and shear zone structure and to link these processes to earthquake cycle characteristics, such as earthquake size and recurrence interval. These models connect such disparate data types as: laboratory data on rock deformation mechanisms, geodetic measurements of surface deformation, and microstructural observations of exhumed faults. In this talk, I review the current state of earthquake cycle modeling, placing it in the context of other approaches to modeling earthquakes. Then, using the simplest earthquake cycle model which includes both spontaneous earthquakes and viscoelastic deformation, I explore the interaction between coseismic and aseismic fault slip and viscoelastic deformation. Finally, I will discuss the effects of incorporating two mechanisms, shear heating and grain size reduction, both of which weaken the root of the fault and alter the structure of the shear zone. [register]

CIG JOB Opportunities
We’re hiring! CIG has job openings at its Davis HQ for a Research Software Engineer and Community Manager. Please see our website for more information. Deadline to apply for full consideration is April 13.