Loading VTK data into Python

Hi all,

This topic has come up a number of times in recent conversations, so I thought I would share the general workflow for importing VTK data directly into python (numpy arrays).

Below is a snippet of python code that should largely work out of the box for 3D cartesian models, where all one has to do is provide the full path and name of the .pvtu in a string. Please note that lines in bold are comments, and you would need to add a # symbol before them in python. I excluded them as they produced odd formatting in the post.

Please let me know if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions.

Cheers,
John

Load modules
import numpy np; import vtk as vtk; from vtk.util import numpy_support

Load vtu data (pvtu directs to vtu files)
reader = vtk.vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridReader()
reader.SetFileName('full_path_and_name_of_pvtu_file')
reader.Update()

Example for how to set the file name:
reader.SetFileName('/home/naliboff/solution-00000.pvtu')

Get the coordinates of nodes in the mesh
nodes_vtk_array= reader.GetOutput().GetPoints().GetData()

Convert nodal vtk data to a numpy array
nodes_numpy_array = vtk.util.numpy_support.vtk_to_numpy(nodes_vtk_array)

Extract x, y and z coordinates from numpy array
x,y,z= nodes_numpy_array[:,0] , nodes_numpy_array[:,1] , nodes_numpy_array[:,2]

Determine the number of scalar fields contained in the .pvtu file
number_of_fields = reader.GetOutput().GetPointData().GetNumberOfArrays()

Determine the name of each field and place it in an array.
field_names = []
for i in range(number_of_fields):
field_names.append(reader.GetOutput().GetPointData().GetArrayName(i))

Determine the index of the field strain_rate
idx = field_names.index("strain_rate")

Example: Extract values of strain_rate
field_vtk_array = reader.GetOutput().GetPointData().GetArray(idx)
strain_rate = numpy_support.vtk_to_numpy(field_vtk_array)

2 Likes

Hi John,

Thanks for this, it has been very helpful for me trying to post-process using the python-based code fatbox, which I learned about at the last APSECT user meeting.

I am still running into an issue however and am not sure where to look for help so if this isn’t the right place, I apologize. Also, I’m not very familiar with python so that might be part of my troubles.

Anyway, I am able to run some of fatbox’s pre-processing steps using the numpy array I generated using this code (including coordinates of points as well as strain rates). But I’m running into issues with what I think is the code using an image format, where the field data (in this case strain rate) are mapped into the coordinate data.

I tried to write a simple python code to convert my array to one with coordinates matching those of the nodal points from my mesh and then mapping the strain rate data to the positions in the array; however, this required too large of an array given the size of my solution space.

I’m wondering if there is a simpler way to accomplish this that you know of.

Thanks,
Stephanie

I also emailed the developer of fatbox and they suggested changing the resolution and/or attempting to analyze a subset of the solution space. I intend to try this next.

I was able to create the array mentioned previously using my university cluster’s high memory nodes but am still wondering if there is a more efficient path forward.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for posting and sorry for the delay in responding. I agree with the Fatbox folks that the best approach is to analyze a subset of the region.

Can you send over the following information about the model and your analysis goals?

1. What is the model size (dimensions, resolution)? Also, what is the storage space (i.e., how large are files) for each time step?
  2. What spatial area do you want to analyze (cross-section, surface, etc)?

You will need to load all the data for each time step into memory initially, but afterwards you can use spatial constraints to analyze a small subset of the region.

For the first issue you described (incorrect mapping of values), we will likely need to see the underlying code you are using to get information into Fatbox and how Fatbox is being used.

Cheers,
John

Hi John,

Sorry I’m just seeing this (I didn’t get a notification of the reply).

To answer your questions:

1. I was just testing out fatbox with ASPECT’s crustal deformation cookbook output using a geometry of 80km by 16km and AMR level 1 and global refinement level 3 to get about 400 cells on 5 levels. The files are 15-20 kB each with 16 for each time step.
  2. I’m trying to analyze the two oppositely verging areas of high strain that result from this cookbook that span the 2-D section.

I was able to contour the strain rate values in python using the method you give above:

The fatbox developer I messaged confirmed that fatbox indeed uses image analysis tools and I was able to plot an image using the large (mostly sparse) array using the high memory nodes on my university cluster.

Thanks,
Stephanie