How does PyLith version 2.2.1 / 2.2.2 computes tractions at the fault nodes?

Hi Brad,

For PyLith versions 2.2.1 and 2.2.2, could you please comment on the following points:

1. I gather that PyLith have the option of reporting stresses at the quadrature points, which can be done by commenting out the CellFilterAvg option. However, I know that for problems with faults PyLith reports tractions at the fault nodes.

2. Thus, does PyLith perform any sort of mapping for the stresses when dealing with faults to solve the contact problem ? If so, how is this done ?

3. How does PyLith computes tractions at the fault nodes for problems involving fault slip ?

Thanks in advance,
Josimar

For PyLith versions 2.2.1 and 2.2.2, could you please comment on the following points:

1. I gather that PyLith have the option of reporting stresses at the quadrature points, which can be done by commenting out the CellFilterAvg option. However, I know that for problems with faults PyLith reports tractions at the fault nodes.

Yes, for bulk materials the stresses are computed at the quadrature points.

2. Thus, does PyLith perform any sort of mapping for the stresses when dealing with faults to solve the contact problem ? If so, how is this done ?

3. How does PyLith computes tractions at the fault nodes for problems involving fault slip ?

The Lagrange multipliers are the tractions needed to couple the two sides of the fault together with the proper slip. See the manual and the Aagaard, Knepley, Williams 2013 JGR paper for more info.

1 Like