Discovering and Addressing Social Challenges in the Evolution of Scientific Software Projects

Date and Time: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 1:00-2:00 pm ET

Presenters: Rene Gassmoeller

Description:

In recent years scientific software projects have increasingly incorporated state-of-the-art technical best practices like continuous integration into their development cycle. However, many projects still struggle to create and maintain an active and welcoming user/developer community, and there exists little documentation on what makes a scientific software community successful. In this webinar I will introduce my work — as a Better Scientific Software Fellow — typical social challenges and potential solutions that arise during the evolution of a scientific software project. Aimed at current and prospective software maintainers and community leaders, I will discuss topics such as building and maintaining a welcoming community atmosphere, overcoming skepticism of sharing science and software, mediating between users working on conflicting topics or publications, and providing credit and growth opportunities for community members. Finally, I hope to initiate a conversation among project and community leaders about what makes communities successful so that we can learn from each other and improve scientific software development together.

Participation is free, but registration is required.

More info and registration link:

https://ideas-productivity.org/events/hpc-best-practices-webinars/

This webinar is now available online:

Discovering and Addressing Social Challenges in the Evolution of Scientific Software Projects

Presented on Wednesday September 11, 2019

We want to let you know that this webinar has now been archived on the HPC Best Practices site, which hosts the slides, and a recording of this webinar there, as well as previous webinars in the series.